Screen printing is a popular method for adding designs to clothes, but the print may crack or peel over time. Seeing the print on your favorite shirt cracked is annoying. So, you probably want to learn how to fix cracked print on shirt, and that’s why you’re here.
This guide provides you with step-by-step instructions on how to fix cracked prints on your clothes. Besides, we explain what preventive measures you can take to make your prints last longer and maintain their quality.
So, let’s dive into the world of textile repair and fabric care!
How to Fix Cracked Print on Shirt Effectively
Today, many people like to wear printed clothes because they look cool and modern. Printed clothes can have unique designs extracted from computers, from logos and texts to images. That is why companies often choose to promote their brands through printed shirts.
Although the printed graphics are visually appealing, over time, they can crack or peel. The most common reasons include everyday wear and tear, frequent machine wash, heat, or poor print quality. Remember that improper washing techniques can also make your garment crack.
We create quality designs that align with your branding strategies or personal wishes. Yet, we know that you might face print cracking or peeling due to the reasons mentioned above. Therefore, as experts in printed apparel, in this article, we want to advise you on what to do in case of print cracking.
Two essential ways to fix cracked print on shirts are to apply exterior paint or place the fabric object on the shirt. Let’s explain the repair tips step-by-step.
Apply exterior paint
Follow the steps below to fix the cracked print with exterior paint:
- Use a paint mixture that consists of the needed paint or paints and a refractive media. Then apply it to the shirt.
- Then, you must apply a second standard media to the mixture to help the paint attach to the material more firmly.
- Leave the shirt in a dry area until the painting is completely attached to it.
- Once the paint on the shirt is dried completely, the process is done.
Placing the fabric object (print) on the shirt
- Find the same print.
- Get rid of the previous cracked print.
- Place the print (fabric object) on a pressing board with the sticker side facing up.
- Clean any peeling and cracks to restore the sticker to its original position.
- Place a parchment paper layer over the sticker.
- Turn the iron on the highest level.
- Iron out over the sticker.
- Take off the paper layer and inspect the sticker.
- If there are empty spots, fill them with textile pastels.
How to Remove the Cracked Print on Shirt
If you’re seeking an uncomplicated and budget-friendly method to remove prints from your fabric without causing any damage to your garments, adhere to the instructions provided below.
Use medicinal alcohol
Medicinal alcohol removes the fabric print flawlessly.
- Your shirt must be clean and dust-free.
- Apply alcohol on the print.
- The print becomes very fragile when wet.
- Scratch the print.
Use a warm iron
This technique will help you take the print off the shirt. To remove the print this way, you will need a warm iron and sheets.
Follow the procedure:
- Place the shirt on a flat, heat-resistant surface, like an ironing board or table.
- Turn the shirt upside down to protect the unpainted part of the shirt.
- Put moderate sheets on the shirt’s back and front.
- The bottom sheet would attach to the melted print, while the top sheet would protect the canvas from the iron’s heat.
- Switch on the iron to a low or medium heat setting and allow the iron to heat up.
- Apply heat once the iron has reached the desired temperature.
- Press the iron over the sheet-covered cracked print.
- Apply pressure and make sure it covers the entire damaged area.
- After 15–20 seconds of applying heat, lift the iron and peel back the sheet to check the print.
- When the upper sheet is ironed, the design should melt into the bottom sheet.
- Remove the sheet from the cracked print carefully to check if the crack is successfully removed.
- If it isn’t, iron it again.
How to Prevent Screen Print Cracking
We know that everyone wants to wear their printed shirts for a long time. Considering this, we enlisted these tips for preventing shirts from cracking. So, basic fabric care involves proper washing, ironing, and drying techniques to prolong the lifespan of your clothes.
Wash the garment inside out
This is a simple technique. You can apply it to every piece of clothing you want to protect. Turn the garment inside out before putting it in the washing machine. This will protect your garments and avoid getting in contact with the rest of your clothes.
Don’t iron over the print
Frequent ironing can make the print more fragile, and it will crack and peel easily. For this reason, it’s notable to consider that heat damages the print, and you should never iron it.
Wash printed garments with cold water
As with ironing, washing with hot water makes the print fade over time. That is why it is best to wash printed garments in a cold water setting. Depending on the machine, the option to wash in cold water may be 68-86°F.
Don’t use the drying machine
Although the drying machine saves you time, it is not recommended for some garments. The heat from the drying machine may shrink your garments and make them crack. Therefore, it is best to dry your printed shirts in a well-ventilated and shaded area.
Cracked prints don’t look good on clothes, even if they were recently bought. Yet, it is a shame to throw away your beloved clothes when the material looks good. That’s why we decided to show you how to fix cracked print on a shirt.
So, we recommended two basic ways of print repair – placing fabric objects on the shirt and applying exterior color. Although this will help, it is essential to prevent printed shirts from cracking by giving them proper care. Thus, you should wash the printed garments inside out and with cold water and avoid machine drying and ironing them over the print.
Hopefully, after applying these repairing and caring techniques, you’ll be able to wear your garment confidently again!